The APTA Centennial Scholars Program is designed to build a cadre of future association leaders at both the chapter/section/academy and national levels. Demonstrating APTA’s investment in the sustainability of the association as it begins its next 100 years, the program will support our collective quest for a diverse and prepared leadership pool.
The 12-month program will run throughout 2021 with a goal of engaging 100 scholars, including the goal of at least one scholar sponsored by each of APTA’s chapters, sections, and academies. The curriculum will cover association leadership and management topics and be delivered through three face-to-face meetings and regularly scheduled virtual learning experiences. Additionally, scholars will work directly with their sponsoring chapter/section/academy to design and complete a capstone project that addresses an existing need as determined by the sponsor. Scholars will also benefit from the guidance of Centennial Scholar mentors who will work directly with the scholars in small groups to support the completion of their projects.
Application Deadline: EXTENDED until August 15th, 2020 at 11:59pm
Expected Selection Notification Date: Friday, August 28th, 2020
Eligibility and Application Requirements
1. Be a current PT or PTA member of the APTA and WVPTA in good standing at the time of application and throughout the 2021 Centennial year.
2. Have 10 years or less of practice experience (early to mid career)
3. Demonstrate leadership potential either through a proven record of leadership experiences, or through letters of recommendation speaking to future association leadership potential.
4. Attend three mandatory in-person events [expenses paid by the sponsoring chapter] and regularly scheduled virtual meetings. The in-person events are currently scheduled for:
a. January 16, 2021, New York, NY
b. April 2021 [exact date TBD] in Alexandria, VA
c. September 12, 2021 in Washington, D.C.
5. Commit to developing and completing a capstone project in collaboration with the sponsoring chapter which may extend beyond 2021.
6. Scholars must submit an article for the WVPTA Newsletter at the 6-month mark of the program and upon completion of the program.
7. Scholars must be willing to attend WVPTA monthly conference calls as appropriate throughout the 12 month scholarship period.
8. Submit a completed application by the application deadline.